In order to keep your pet hedgehog healthy and happy, his or her cage will need to be fully cleaned every 1-2 weeks. Some owners prefer to spot clean the cage every day or two to keep the cage tidy and then do a thorough cleaning every two weeks. Others prefer to do a once per week full cleaning and skip the daily spot cleaning. Either way will help to eliminate odors and provide your hedgie with a good living environment.
This is my recommended hedgehog cage cleaning process:
- Start by dumping out the bedding into a trash bag or compost.
- Fill a utility sink, bath tub or large sink with very warm/hot water and detergent such as Dawn (my personal choice). The detergent should remain the same each and every time that you clean the cage. Hedgehogs do not like change!
- To make cleaning easy, let everything soak, especially the wheel, for about 10 minutes before scrubbing. I like to use sponges, pot and pan brushes for scrubbing and a bottle brush for water bottles.
- While everything soaks, now is a great time to do a quick health check-up on your hedgehog. Check the eyes and ears for any discharge. Feel for any unusual lumps and look for cuts or scrapes that might need attention. Clip toenails if necessary.
- Once you have scrubbed and rinsed the cage and accessories, add clean bedding and place items back in the cage.
Hedgie will now be happy to have a new clean home! You can reward him / her with a tasty mealworm treat.